We are excited to be able to offer the Hanen It Takes Two to Talk Program to Central Coast parents. It Takes Two To Talk is a program design to help parents of young children (one to five years) with language delays. Based on the most current research in early childhood communication and lead by Hanen certified and trained Speech Pathologists, parents learn strategies and techniques for stimulating their child’s language development. Training sessions are highly interactive, and have a strong focus on helping you learn the strategies that will help your child based on where they are in their development.
What You Will Learn
Hanen’s It Takes Two To Talk Program understands that parents are the most valuable language teacher for each child, and so aims to give parents information and practical strategies to make every interaction more powerful and language driven. During the training sessions, held in small personalised groups, parents will learn about:
- Identifying your child’s stage and style of communication, and the goals and next steps to take to help them progress
- Recognising your child’s interests and use these to engage them in conversations and communicative exchanges
- Following your child’s lead in play to create more opportunities for moments of communication
- Making everyday routines more powerful communication opportunities to work on turn-taking and keeping interactions going
- Effectively adding language to interactions to help your child first understand words and then use them
- Tweaking how you communicate with your child to maximise their ability to learn new words and language skills
- Incorporating the lessons you’ve learnt within the Program into play, book reading and music activities to maximise your child’s language learning
The Program consists of:
- Eight 2 – 2 ½ hour training sessions for parents, help in small personalised groups
- A pre-program consultation for you and your child with your Hanen certified Speech Pathologist
- 3 individual visits for you and your child, spaced out over the course of the Program, during which you will be videotaped implementing strategies to help your child achieve their specific language goals. During this visit, the video taken will be reviewed by yourself and Speech Pathologist. This allows parents the chance to really look at how they’re implementing the strategies and identify what is helping the child the most
The It Takes Two to Talk Guidebook
You will also receive a copy of the Hanen guidebook It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays, which will be used throughout the program to support your learning. In the guidebook, you’ll find all of the strategies covered within the Program, along with practical examples and explanations to help you implement at home.
Connect With Other Parents
The program is also a great opportunity to connect with fellow parents who are in a similar situation. During the Program you’ll have the opportunity to share your experiences, and hear the experiences of other parents.
Find out More
If you’re interested in learning more about the program, head over to the Hanen website for even more information about the program (the Hanen website in general is absolutely full of information for parents of children with language delays and is a wonderful resource). You can also download the It Takes Two to Talk brochure.
If you’re interested, you can also get a sneak peek at one of the early strategies taught within the program, called OWL. This strategy is all about learning how to follow your child’s lead with some simple techniques. All you need to do is:
OWLing is a foundational strategy that opens up more opportunities for communication, helps you stimulate communication and makes you a better communication partner for your child. To get an excerpt from the It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays guidebook that covers OWLing, including some practical examples, click here.
Register Your Interest
Are you interested in possibly joining us for a cycle of the It Takes Two to Talk Program in the future, or would you be interested in joining us for an information session? Click the button below and leave your name and email, and we will let you know of any planned cycles of the Program, or opportunities for you to learn more. The Program requires a minimum number of participants to go ahead, and registering helps us to gauge interest and organise new cycles.